> Commemoration: Constance and her Companions, Martyrs of Memphis
|« Back to calendar||« Previous Event | Next Event »|
Annually on September 9
Constance and her Companions,
Martyrs of Memphis,
A stained-glass window at All Saints Chapel at the University of the South in Sewanee pays tribute to Sister Constance and the Martyrs of Memphis.
Photograph by Robert Butler, courtesy University of the South.
From Saint Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Memphis:
Memphis suffered periodic epidemics of yellow fever, a mosquito-borne viral infection, throughout the 19th century. The worst of the epidemics occurred in the summer of 1878, when 5,150 Memphians died. Five years earlier, a group of Episcopal nuns from the recently formed Sisterhood of St. Mary arrived in Memphis to operate the St. Mary's School for Girls, which was relocated to the cathedral site. When the 1878 epidemic struck, a number of priests and nuns (both Protestant and Catholic), doctors, and even the proprietress of a bordello stayed behind to tend to the sick and dying. The Episcopal nuns' superior, Sister Constance, three other Episcopal nuns, and two Episcopal priests are known throughout the Anglican Communion as "Constance and Her Companions" or the "Martyrs of Memphis". Added to the Episcopal Church's Lesser Feasts and Fasts in 1981, their feast day (September 9) commemorates their sacrifices.
- Sister Constance (neé Caroline Louise Darling, b. Medway, Mass., 1846), superior of the work at Memphis, headmistress of St. Mary’s School for Girls.
- Sister Thecla, sacristan of St. Mary’s Cathedral and its school chapel, instructor in music and grammar (English and Latin)
- Sister Ruth, nurse at Trinity Infirmary, New York
- Sister Frances, a newly professed nun given charge of the Church Home orphanage
- The Rev. Charles Carroll Parsons, rector of Grace Episcopal Church, Memphis; former U.S. Army artillery commander, West Point alumnus and professor (Served with classmate Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer in Kansas, defense counsel in Custer's 1867 court-martial trial.)
- The Rev. Louis S. Schuyler, newly ordained assistant rector at Parsons' prior parish, Holy Innocents Episcopal Church, Hoboken, New Jersey.
The high altar of the cathedral, consecrated on Whitsunday 1879, was commissioned by Bishop Quintard to memorialize the Sisters of St. Mary who died. Inscribed on the altar steps are "Alleluia Osanna," Constance's last words. Sister Hughetta (Snowden) survived the plague, and when she died in 1926, her name was added to the steps, replacing the verse, "He feedeth among the lilies." The reredos (altar backdrop) is also a memorial to Sister Hughetta.
The four nuns of St. Mary’s who perished treating other victims during the 1878 yellow fever epidemic were laid to rest in Elmwood Cemetery.
Photograph by Michael Finger.
Yellow Fever Martyrs Memorial
Saint Mary's Episcopal Cathedral. (n.d.). Constance and Her Companions. Retrieved August 20, 2020, from http://www.stmarysmemphis.org/about/history/bishop-oteys-paten/
Finger, M. (2019, April 08). The Martyrs of Memphis. Retrieved August 20, 2020, from https://memphismagazine.com/features/the-martyrs-of-memphis/